Thursday, April 8, 2010

More Good News!

Saddened by the quality of my Jason Heyward photo, my good friend Mark Reeves donated the following photo. This one was taken by Mark during Heyward's follow-through on the actual home run swing. Though taken only seconds apart, for some reason, mine looks like it was taken in the 1970s. Weird.


In other news, I bloodied a little kid's nose at Wal-Mart a little while ago. At least that's how her mother viewed it when her unsupervised four-year-old ran full-speed (while not looking where she was going) into my right hand that was unfortunately carrying a jar of On the Border Medium Salsa (which I've since learned isn't very good).

Of course, I immediately asked if the child was okay and apologized (though I maintain it was not my fault), but both mother and father did not see any reason to dignify me with a response of any sort. In fact, rather than respond to me, they scolded the child for being reckless and not watching where she was going. I even apologized a second time and was ignored again.

Only when I continued my shopping for a few seconds and a little blood dripped out of the child's nose was I significant enough to engage in conversation. Mother-of-the-Year told another shopper to get my attention and proceeded to tell me that I "made a mistake and busted her daughter's nose."

Needless to say, I resisted the urge to point out the flaws in her logic and apologized a third time. Even so, I couldn't help but wonder what this fine citizen expected me to say or do that I had not already done. Why was it the child's fault until they saw blood? Why wasn't I worth acknowledging (or blaming) until they saw blood? Why am I still writing about this?

The only thing I can figure is that for at least a moment, this lady saw dollar signs pouring out of her daughter's nose. Fortunately, she dropped it after my third apology and the dollar signs quit flowing pretty quickly. Maybe I'm a bad person and am assuming the worst in others, but I'm afraid that paranoia is the undoubted product of our over-litigious society. Thank you, trial lawyers.
By the way, if you have read this far, you are a true friend.

3 comments:

  1. I'm just questioning your choice in salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The selection wasn't great. Pace, Newman's Own, and On the Border. I've eaten so much salsa in my life, I'm always open to a new option. Trust me, I won't make that mistake again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you should have followed your apology with, "Hey, little girl, want some candy?"
    Sorry, I know that is terrible coming from a mom, but these things happen. If I had $10,000 for every time my kids have bled....

    ReplyDelete