Monday, May 24, 2010

To My Students: What I Learned From You

As most of you know, my teaching position was recently eliminated as a part of budget cuts in my school system. Obviously, this was very unpleasant and no one likes looking for a new job in this economy, but I can honestly say I am more upset to be leaving so many wonderful kids and co-workers behind. I will miss them all immensely (even the occasionally difficult ones).

So, it has come to my attention that some of my students have discovered this sad, little blog. I've done my best to say "thank you and goodbye" to as many as I could, but since it is impossible for me to round up all 350 or so kids I taught or coached and the countless others I got to know through other school activities in the last two years, I thought I'd post a few words on here in hopes that a few more of them would know how much they mean to me. I tried to say something like this to some of them, but I had a really hard time putting it into words on the spot. So, here goes take two.

The main thing I'd like to say to all of you is thank you so much for being an amazing group of people. I got to know all of you during a really unique and difficult time in my life and I have no doubt that you were all put into my life when you were for a reason. I'm not really sure what the big picture reason is that I now have to leave, but I'm sure there is a reason for that too. But back to why I think you were exactly what I needed during my time here...

I have never wanted to burden my students with my personal life and I won't start now, but I do want to let you know that you helped me far more than I ever helped you. Your kindness, generosity, positive attitudes, hard work, senses of humor, etc. got me through a lot of days that would have been far more difficult anywhere else. I can't imagine going to work in a cubicle in an office for the last two years. Who would I tell to sit down and be quiet? Who would listen to me go on and on and on about how important and interesting Marbury v. Madison was? Who would cheer me on through four pounds of lasagna? Whose names would I regularly pretend to forget? Who would make t-shirts and Facebook groups for me when I got laid-off? Even if I couldn't have put my finger on it, I would have known something tremendous was missing in my life.

More than that, you all gave me purpose. You gave me something to care about other than myself when it was tempting to do just that. It is far too easy for us to get caught up in our own problems and be completely oblivious to the needs of everyone else around us. If there is one thing you have taught me, it is that I need to be more kind and generous to those around me. You never know how you could impact someone with just a kind word or a pat on the back. What you say and do can be the difference in them having a great day or a miserable day.

Without even knowing it, many of you did these things for me and I will be forever grateful for that. Every hello, smile, and head nod in the last two years was genuinely appreciated. They all reminded me that I was part of something important, that I had a responsibility to you and your parents, and that I owed you more effort than the day before. Now, I'd challenge you to make it a point to do those things purposefully in the future. It comes so naturally to so many of you, I can only imagine the impact you would all have on those around you with a conscious effort to turn it up a notch. Particularly, please extend that kindness to the kids you don't know as well or even like as much. They need friends too.

I'd also like to be clear that this doesn't just apply to the straight-A students and my Proud Panthers (all of which I'm extremely proud). I cared about every last one of you, even the most challenging class clowns and habitual sleepers. You also gave me purpose and many of you rose to challenges that I think surprised even you. And to those of you really struggling, you have given me plenty of reasons to be proud and I'm still pulling for you. You are all capable of so many great things. I fully intend to visit and come to some sporting events, so I look forward to getting updates from you all personally. I'm also leaving behind a lot of good friends that will still be teaching and coaching you, so I'll know if the updates you give me are accurate or not.

You have all meant so much more to me than I'll ever be able to express. Thanks again for being daily blessings in my life and I will miss you all.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Sprayberry,
    You are, to be completely honest, my favorite teacher that I have ever had, and I really am going to miss you, but when you get another teaching job you should be more strict, because then you won't have to yell please be quiet a billion times, even though that is part of what makes you the teacher you are. I think you may feel like we all take advantage of you, and some students feel that we all take advantage of you too, but to be completely honest, I don't think that it was taking advantage at all, I just think that you make the classroom a comfortable environment for us, you're easy to joke around with, and you joke around back. You make sad attempts to make your powerpoints funny with all those little pictures, and in the end it is funny, because you think it's so funny. I mean yes, talking when you talk, and sleeping is a little rude, but you aren't the only teacher that it happens to. You really are a pretty good teacher, hahaha, and I think I can speak for just about everyone when I say that you will be greatly missed, and we all honeslty do love you.
    --Iris Ricklefs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spray,
    As if telling you bye was not the most emotional experience we've had--this tops it (your blog). I deeply appreciate parts one AND two of your speech. You have made an impact on my life that you will never truly be able to realize . I could go on and one for years about laughs, memories, and goofy stories or more importantly what you have taught me, but this is more about me thanking you for all you have done in my life and high school career. I wish you the best in all that you do. I pray God blesses you in all areas and aspects of your life. Just in your few words that you are leaving us with you have showed me how the little things count and that life is to precious and short to live the way we do. Thanks again Mr.Sprayberry. Please keep me posted on where you are. I look forward to your , hopefully frequent, visits .
    -Shae Guevara
    P.S.- The Mona Lisa is still a hottie :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coach Sprayberry!! You are a VERY amazing teacher!! My favorite!! an you will be missed more than you could ever imagine by all of us. I wish you luck in finding a teaching job. I also hope your new students enjoy you as much as we all did, and ofcourse, you KNOW they will!!
    -Ellie Murphy
    P.S.- Keep on making people laugh!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sprayberry,
    First of all way to bring a tear to my eye. I always knew somewhere deep deep down you liked us all. Even if sometimes we were "idiots" or "brats". It's weird to think i won't see you in the halls anymore with your coke zero and little cart. The notes were endless and my hand was usually cramped, but your class was my favorite. Drivers Ed student probably wasn't my shining moment of the year. Who knew you could screw up just about every job given. I'm not really sure of any other teacher that would buy me a taco on my birthday and let me steal klondike bars. You are forrealzies my favorite teacher, and even though it may not have seemed like it I really appreciate everything you've done the past two years. I'll miss being made fun of, grading stacks of papers and the jokes of how much you hate matt. Don't forget tennis season is jan-apr and yes it's a sport. If by some blessing from God i get star student I'll make sure you're star teacher, but being 93 in my class that may be tough. Good luck at your new job whatever it may be. You're new students probably wont be as cool as us though.
    Your Favorite Student,
    Addie Gooby

    ReplyDelete
  5. We'll miss you too Sprayberry, your class was the best i've ever had, thank you for being my teacher

    Your Even More Favored Student,
    Matthew Compton

    ReplyDelete