Saturday, May 8, 2010

Banjos and Bravos

Scott Avett of The Avett Brothers

Sorry it has been so long since a post. My neighbor apparently realized someone was mooching off of his/her wireless network or quit paying his/her bill. In any case, I haven't had anything earth-shaking to share lately anyway. Some random thoughts:

Merlefest: mostly bluegrass music festival in Wilkesboro, NC. A creative Christmas gift from my brother David to our other brother John and myself, I knew little to nothing about it before this past December. In short, a fantastic experience. An entire college campus in the mountains overrun with tens of thousands of people, 14 stages, food and musical instrument vendors, and music fans.

An unforgettable weekend complete with a new favorite barbecue place, Doc Watson, Steve Martin, Elvis Costello, The Avett Brothers, and countless new musical interests for me to explore. Assuming I make my way to Merlefest again, I'll no doubt run a few people out of the various open jam tents where regular folks can explore and share in each other's talents. "Amateur" is a word that would flatter me in the company of the people I saw playing in these and the "Little Pickers" (kids) tent.

This event deserves its own post, but since I'm mooching off a friend this evening, I'll try to summarize it by saying that if you like music and have a remotely open mind, you would find something fun at Merlefest next year. Pretty much everything is bluegrass-influenced, but there were definitely some acts that pushed the envelope. I regret that I don't remember the names of the more obscure bands that fit this description, but the most popular of that kind was The Avett Brothers.

Because I'm not an expert on their history or their influences, I'll try to describe them without making too much of a fool of myself. As I understand it, they are a couple of North Carolina homeschool kids from a pretty religious background that tried their hands at some fairly heavy rock/punk influenced stuff 10 or 15 years ago. Returning to their roots, they explored some acoustic bluegrass stuff and created a unique blend of banjo, acoustic guitar, upright bass, piano, screaming, wailing, and phenomenal songwriting that rivals just about anything I've ever listened to. A stubborn devotee to my 3 or 4 favorite bands for at least 10 years, these guys have easily cracked my top 5 and forced me to seriously question who I like how much and why.

Not to be too melodramatic, but The Avett Brothers are a band that I'm confident would reach most people on some level with any amount of serious consideration. You like loud, hard-rockin' stuff? Believe it or not, it is there all over every bluegrass-leaning album. You like quiet, painfully honest ballads? They have more than you can probably emotionally stand. They can create a desire to party one minute and make you regret every decision you made at that party the next. From songs that make you blush to songs that make you want to call your family, their songwriting is no joke. The musical genius is a bonus.

Anyway, enough about The Avett Brothers. Merlefest was a blast. Steve Martin (yes, the comedian) was a highlight for me. I missed several of his songs in search of food, but what I saw and heard was some of the best banjo-playing of the weekend and by far the funniest banter (he claimed one song based on his experience was called "I Think My Masseuse Is Too Chatty"). He even closed with "King Tut." I didn't know much Elvis Costello going into the weekend, but left with a new respect for him. An Elvis Presley cover (Mystery Train) and a Grateful Dead cover (Friend of the Devil) gave me a couple of songs I knew between some hit and miss originals of his own. Still, a weekend with family (and John's girlfriend Christie) was the highlight for me. And The Avett Brothers.

Nothing much else new. My job search continues (or begins). My students have been incredibly sweet, making "Save Sprayberry" and "Save the Spray" shirts for themselves and me. Some also created a Facebook page to the same effect (with 100+ fans last I saw). I can't imagine many (if any) of them have stumbled across this blog, but I hope to let them know somehow, someday, just how much it all has meant to me. After the couple of years I've endured, I'm not sure anyone knows quite what they have meant to me, least of all some teenagers rightfully consumed with their own very real needs and dramas. I'll truly miss all of my students and co-workers. Even the difficult ones. I know it is cliche, but they have all given me far more than I could ever give them.

One final side note: while Jason Heyward continues to be a stud, the Braves still suck. I'd just like to point out that the Braves were 2-0 when last I attended a contest. Not so now. Under .500 and struggling to avoid no-hitters, the Braves have as many issues as ever. And I want to learn to play the banjo.

No comments:

Post a Comment